Merit Badge Counselors

merit_badgesDid you know that Merit Badge Counselors are not registered through the Troop? Even if the counselor wishes to only work with a single unit, they must be registered with the District. We have many counselors out there doing good work but not all are officially registered.

What does it take to become registered?

  1. BSA Adult Application completely filled out with position description listed as code 42: Merit Badge Counselor. You must submit an original signed paper form.
  2. BSA Merit Badge Counselor Information form.
  3. Copy of current Youth Protection Training certificate (either classroom or online version).

There are no registration fees to be a counselor. Please turn in all forms directly to Michael Ryan, Armadillo District Merit Badge Counselor Coordinator rather than to the Scout office. Contact him at Advancement chairs or other adult leaders who need access to a online list of registered counselors for their troop, the district, and the council may also contact Michael.

Need resources? Visit BSA’s guide for Merit Badge Counselors.